Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The White Halo of the Kenai Mountains




N 60°29'04"
W 149°58'25"


Yesterday was the first depressing day in Alaska thus far. The temperature descended as the cloud cover consumed the peninsula bringing cooler air and moisture which culminated in a very cold and wet Monday. But today makes the misery of the yesterday all worth it.

Assuming the weather would be nothing short of bleak and dreary, I awoke very late to a surprisingly beautiful day. The air was clear and crisp like after a spring rain but in summer and in the mountains. But the real selling point of this day was the fresh powder of the nearby mountain tops. The halo of snow on the high rock points make a sharp contrast with the deep blue hue of the atmosphere and the newly defined snow line of the Kenai Mountains.

Sadly I didn't bring my camera with me to the Princess Lodge, but I'm putting up pictures anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment